BFA signage
home
archives
Nathan, Thorndon, 1905


J Nathan & Co, Bulk Store, Thorndon Quay, 1905
BFA Collection.
Architects: Crichton and McKay.

Joseph Nathan and Co were a Wellington based company of general merchants (not to be confused with L D Nathan which became part of the 'Lion Nathan' corporation). After refrigerated transport of dairy products became possible in the 1880s they invested in the Manawatu area including the purchase of Makino Butter Factory in 1903. In 1904 , the year before this bulk store was built, they produced New Zealand's first dried milk powder which was marketed under the name 'Glaxo'.

The Nathan family ended their association with Glaxo in the late 1930s but the company continued to prosper. In 1947 Glaxo became the parent company by absorbing Joseph Nathan & Co, they also listed on the London Stock Exchange. Today Glaxo Smith Kline is one of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies.

The drawing is signed by Joseph Nathan and witnessed by J H McKay.

Continuous practice since 1892... design for your needs, not for ours